The assignment was carried out in collaboration with Economic Consulting Associates (ECA), Trama TecnoAmbiental (TTA), and DAI Europe under support to the Mozambican Energy Fund (FUNAE) provided by DFID. Two main outputs were presented to the client:
(1) Individual pre-feasibility studies for 30 locations complete with financial, technical, and design components;
(2) An analytical report considering the institutional structure, business models, and policy reform options to create an enabling environment for the development of the mini-grids in the given locations.
GreenLight was involved in all levels of the assignment, with a greater focus on fieldwork and data collection. Within each site, four different assessments were carried out:
(1) Household baseline survey and market willing to pay for energy services;
(2) Focus group discussions with community members and local leaders about energy needs;
(3) Productive use of energy assessment with local businesses and small industries;
(4) Geographic assessment for grid extension and power-plant installation. The results were presented to the Mozambique Minister of Mineral Resources and Energy as well as at a high-level stakeholder conference.
Client: DFID / FUNAE
Date: 2018 – 2019